Food delivery. Non-standard conveyor line for order picking
Considering the high workload in the warehouse of a food delivery service and the need to automate the warehouse processes, we identified the following tasks:
- Implementation of a return route of empty boxes from the food delivery picking stations;
- equipping the picking stations with platforms for food delivery;
- implementation of a conveyor line in an already existing automation system of another supplier.
A special feature of the new project in Germany for a food delivery service was that a system had to be implemented in addition to the existing conveyors from another manufacturer. For this purpose, our team measured the already installed conveyors, the electrical and pneumatic connections to them as well as the control panels to the millimetre and designed an automated conveyor system taking all these factors into account.
The conveyor system was installed on special support platforms. It is designed in such a way that the customer can fully automate the process of picking for food delivery – from the delivery of the goods to the picking station to the automated removal of the empty boxes from the picking areas.
The platforms at the picking stations are designed in such a way that the operator can work with two conveyor lines from different companies. This significantly improves the workflow of the staff handling the food delivery orders.
Methods used in the project in Germany
- Conveyor line with ZPA logic;
- Conveyor line with supports up to the ceiling;
- Integration of emergency shutdown circuits (“emergency stop”) of the conveyor line into the system of another supplier.
- Driven conveyor;
- Non-driven conveyor;
- Control unit;
- Platforms with guardrails and safety gates.
In the project carried out in Germany for a food delivery service, the manual work of employees in transporting the empty boxes was reduced to a minimum. The number of staff involved in picking for food delivery was also reduced.
As the installation of our systems coincided with the commissioning of another supplier’s system, our installation team in Germany only had a few working hours per day to complete the mechanical and electrical components of the food delivery service project. However, thanks to the experience, coordinated work of our team and the client, as well as the production facility in Germany, we were able to complete all tasks within the clearly defined time frame.